Ridge Augmentation/ Reconstruction
Rebuilding bone lost due to trauma, periodontal disease, early tooth loss is much easier now than before. If you have been told you are not a candidate for implants because you do not have enough bone, it may now be possible to rebuild your bone with our newer techniques.
Good news- we have much better techniques that allow us to buy bone and grow bone. We are better able to grow bone in sites once not possible with the newer growth factors available. Ask Dr Baldassarre if this is a good choice for you so ou can have dental implants to permanently replace your teeth or stabilize a loose denture.
Bone Morphogenic Protein:
INFUSE® Bone Graft promotes natural bone growth to give you long-term implant success.
How INFUSE® Bone Graft works
The active component of INFUSE® Bone Graft – rhBMP-2- is a recombinantly-produced form of a signaling protein naturally occurring in the human body. This particular protein has been proven to be an important element in the body’s own bone-healing cascade, inducing cells to form biologic bone via osteoinduction.
The rhBMP-2 mechanism of action initiates the body’s own bone-healing cascade:
- INFUSE® Bone Graft is implanted in the surgical site.
- Chemotaxis, or attraction of mesenchymal stem cells to the site, occurs.
- Mesenchymal stem cells proliferate, or increase rapidly in number, at the site due to the presence of rhBMP-2, supported by increased angiogenesis at the site.
- Mesenchymal stem cells differentiate, or begin to change from stem cells to osteoblast cells, due to the binding of rhBMP-2 molecules to cell-surface receptors on the stem cells.
- Bone tissue begins to form around the osteoblasts, and it goes on to mineralize and mature as normal anatomic bone does.
- Mechanical forces on the mineralized bone tissue cause the new bone created in the rhBMP-2 implantation site to continuously remodel, just as normal physiologic bone would be expected to respond